Parents, if you need something to do on weekdays this summer with your kids, check out these indoor movie series. They are all very inexpensive, and a great way to get out of the sun. Most are free, and none are expensive.
You might also be interested in:
- Free things to do this week in the Triangle–updated weekly
- Free and cheap outdoor movies in the Triangle
- Free and cheap stuff for kids to do this summer in the Triangle
- Where to pick blueberries in the Triangle
- Best hikes for kids in the Triangle
Regal Entertainment Group’s Summer Movie Express
Regal Entertainment Group has scheduled ten weeks of family-friendly movies at select theaters. During their Summer Movie Express, selected G- or PG-rated movies start at 10 a.m. every Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Tickets are just $1. (Even better, a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Will Rogers Institute.) First-come, first-served seating is limited to theater’s capacity. Tickets are available only at the theater box office on the day of the show. For participating theaters nationwide, click here. Here is a list of theaters in the area.
This information is for 2019.
The program at most of these cinemas start June 18th, but the Gardner cinema starts June 11th. All end September 4th.
Participating Triangle area theaters:
- Regal North Hills Stadium 14, Raleigh
- Regal Crossroads Stadium 20 & IMAX, Cary
- Regal White Oak Stadium 14, Garner
- Regal Brier Creek Stadium 14, Raleigh
- Regal Beaver Creek Stadium 12, Apex
Summer Movie Camp–Durham
Northgate Stadium 10 Theater at Northgate Mall, 1056 West Club Boulevard in Durham, is showing kids’ movies for free Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, at 9:30 a.m. June 11th through August 15th, 2019. You can get a “kids’ survival pack” (popcorn, drink and candy) for $5.
Lumina Summer Movie Series–Chapel Hill
Lumina Theatre, 620 Market Street in Chapel Hill, is showing families movies Tuesdays and Wednesdays from June 25th to August 7th, 2019. Parents are admitted for free, but must be accompanied by a child. Pay $10 for eight movies. Info on purchasing tickets. You can also buy individual tickets for $2.50 each.
Get a kids’ concession pack for $2.50. It includes popcorn and a drink.
- June 25-26: Hugo
- July 2-3: Smallfoot
- July 9-10: Alvin and the Chipmunks–Chipwrecked
- July 16-17: Shrek
- July 23-24: Grinch (2018)
- July 30-31: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- August 6-7: Hotel Transylvania 3
Poppy’s Summer Movie Magic–Morrisville
Park West 14 Morrisville, 3400 Village Market Place
$1 kids’ movies Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursday, from June 11th to August 15th, 2019. Concessions are also $1. Adults are free. Arrive early to get a seat. Doors open at 9 a.m, movies start at 10 a.m.
- June 11-13: Smallfoot
- June 18-20: Early Man
- June 25-27: Paddington 2
- July 2-4: The House with a Clock in its Walls
- July 9-11: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- July 16-18: Sherlock Gnomes
- July 24-25: Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
- July 30-August 1: Smurfs: The Lost Village
- August 6-8: Wonder Park
- August 13-15: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
The Wake Forest Renaissance Center, 405 South Brooks Street, Wake Forest, shows kids’ movies the 2nd Monday of the month, at 10:30 a.m. It’s free. Call 919-435-9428 to find out which movie.
Wakefield Summer Movies–Raleigh
This information is for 2018. Check back soon for 2019!
Wakefield Cinema, at 10600 Common Oak Drive, Raleigh, shows free kids’ movies at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays from June 19th through August 8th.
- June 19, 20: The Boss Baby and Despicable Me
- June 26, 27: Despicable Me 2 and Smurfs: The Lost Village
- July 3,4: Captain Underpants and The Lego Batman Movie
- July 10, 11: Despicable Me 3 and The Angry Bird Movie
- July 17, 18: The Emoji Movie and Minions
- July 24, 25: The Lego Nijago Movie and Sing
- July 31, August 1: Ferdinand and My Little Pony–the Movie
- August 7, 8: The Secret Live of Pets and Paddington 2
AMC Classic Summer Movie Camp
And here’s a bonus. This one is $4 but it includes kids’ pack of popcorn, fountain drink and fruit snacks. It runs on Wednesdays from June 19th to August 14th, 2019. Check back soon for the start time.
AMC Classic Durham 15, 1807 Martin Luther King Parkway, Durham, is participating.
- June 19: Hotel Transylvania 3
- June 26: Peter Rabbit
- July 3: Small Foot
- July 10: Lego Movie 2
- July 17: Teen Titans Go!
- July 24: The House with Clocks in its Walls
- July 31: Trolls
- August 7: How to Train Your Dragon
- August 24: Wonder Park
3th or June 20th (the schedule differs between theaters) for eight weeks. There are locations in Durham and Raleigh. The schedule differs slightly between the two. See the schedule and participating locations here.