Looking for a chance to show off your smarts? Here’s a list of upcoming trivia nights in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and all around the Triangle. Most are held on a regular weekly schedule.
You’ll find them at bars, breweries, cideries, restaurants and coffee shops. Keep reading for a day-by-day list of trivia nights in the Triangle.
Most of the trivia nights focus on a wide variety of general knowledge, but some focus on music or pop culture. And some of the trivia nights will have a different theme each week, so it’s a good idea to click the links until you get back to the venue’s Facebook page, because that’s where they’d list the weekly theme, which will help you to prepare.
They’re all free to compete in, and offer prizes, often in beer swag or gift cards, but sometimes cash. Most venues also have food or drink specials, so make sure to click through to find out the current specials.
Since most of these trivia nights are regularly scheduled each week, it’s a good idea to verify with the venue that it’s taking place, because holidays or other events might cause trivia night to be canceled.
Do you know of others that should be listed? We are including only trivia nights that are listed on the venue’s website or Facebook page, so if you know one like that, please send an email to email@example.com and we’ll check it out and add it, as time permits.
After the day-by-day list of Triangle trivia nights, we’ve listed 12 tips to make you a better trivia player and 1 tip to make you a better person.
When you email, please keep in mind that we do not plan or host any trivia nights. We’re not affiliate with any of them. We just list them.
Triangle Trivia Nights
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Thursday, January 23, 2020
Friday, January 24, 2020
Saturday, January 25, 2020
Sunday, January 26, 2020
Monday, January 27, 2020
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Thursday, January 30, 2020
Friday, January 31, 2020
Saturday, February 1, 2020
Sunday, February 2, 2020
Monday, February 3, 2020
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
Thursday, February 6, 2020
Friday, February 7, 2020
Saturday, February 8, 2020
Sunday, February 9, 2020
Monday, February 10, 2020
Tuesday, February 11, 2020
Wednesday, February 12, 2020
Thursday, February 13, 2020
Friday, February 14, 2020
Saturday, February 15, 2020
Sunday, February 16, 2020
Monday, February 17, 2020
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Wednesday, February 19, 2020
13 Tips to Win at Trivia
- Assemble a well-rounded team, with different niches.
- Find teammates of different ages, at least 15 years apart.
- Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to your team, though. A too-large team can have trouble coming to a quick agreement on an answer, and if you have to consider a large number of guesses, that can waste time.
- Designate a teammate to write down each question. One wrong word can set you on the wrong path.
- Never leave an answer blank. If you have no idea, guess. You might get lucky. If you truly have no idea, give a funny answer. Because trivia night is meant to be fun.
- If you’re guessing, say what percent sure you are. A 95% sure guess is a lot different than a 70% sure guess.
- Become a regular. You’ll get a feel for the kind of questions a particular host asks.
- Learn to tune out superfluous information in a question and to focus on the two or three words of key information.
- Let everyone on your team talk.
- Take all the time that’s allotted to you.
- Keep up with the news.
- Study up on some basic information that tends to be visited a lot in trivia, like U.S. presidents, the Periodic Table of Elements, and Super Bowl winners (and losers.)
- Spend some money at the brewery or bar. Buy something. Tip your bartender or waitstaff. OK, that won’t help you win but it’s the right thing to do.