The Orange County Historical Museum, at 201 N. Churton Street, Hillsborough, is operated by the Historical Foundation of Hillsborough and Orange County.
It’s free to visit, and is open from Friday to Sunday, 11 am. to 4 p.m. Free tours are available upon request.
Check out a big list of museums in the Triangle that are free to visit or that have free days.
Orange County Historical Museum’s upcoming exhibit, “Date Night,” an examination of dating in Orange County in all eras of the 20th Century.
The permanent exhibit presents the development of Orange County, NC, in a chronological fashion, from indigenous settlements through the twentieth century
What people collect and why.
Grand Re-opening of Kids’ Space
Saturday, July 22, 2023
11 am. to 4 p.m.
Kids’ Space has been re-imaged to look like Hillsborough in 1823.
- Shop at Kirkland’s and mail a letter
- Cook a meal or make butter in Eliza Estes’ kitchen
- Grow vegetables in the garden of the Union Hotel
- Learn Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic at Hillsborough Academy
- Print papers at Dennis Heartt’s Print Shop
- Make some furniture at Henry Evens’ workshop
- From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., kids will be able to make butter, work with quill pens, and weave a paper basket.
- Starting at 2 p.m., Exhibits and Program Coordinator Courtney Smith will read stories and lead kids in historic games.
- From 3 to 4 p.m., all visitors will be able to enjoy some free ice cream and period music.
More Events in Hillsborough
Check out this guide to visiting Hillsborough, NC, or look at some upcoming Hillsborough events: