Dorothea Dix Park, 2105 Umstead Drive, Raleigh, is hosting a growing number of diverse activities, for both adults and kids. Many of the events are free. Also, many require pre-registration. Follow the links to register.
Find all upcoming events at dorotheadixpark.org/calendar.
Events at Dorothea Dix Park
Get Fit at Dix Park: Yoga in the Park
Wednesday, September 23rd and 30th, 2020
Explore Dorothea Dix Park: Guided Walking Tour
Sunday, September 20th, 2020: Sold out
Sunday, October 11th, 2020: Sold out
Sunday, October 25th, 2020: Sold out
Sunday, November 8th, 2020
Sunday, November 22nd, 2020
2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
This free 2-hour, 3.5 mile walking tour will cover the history of the buildings, land, and legacy of Dorothea Dix; the current use of the area as the headquarters of the Department of Health and Human Services; and the next steps the City is taking to plan the future of the park. Please follow the above link to the safety information.
These tours fill up very quickly. At the time of this post the tours in September and October are filled up, but there’s space in the November ones. That might change by the time you read this, however.
The main, large dog area has been divided in two. This will allow for park maintenance team to close a portion of the dog park so the turf can rest and regrow while leaving the remainder of the dog park open – eliminating the need for monthly closures of the entire facility.
The off-leash area at Dix Park is the only grass dog park in the Raleigh Parks system.
Visiting the Dix Dog Park? Know Before You Go:
- Open seven days-a-week, sunrise to sunset
- Expect short closures on Wednesday mornings for mowing
- Weekday parking is located at 900 Palmer Drive
- All City of Raleigh Dog Park Rules apply
- Pick up after your dogs. Waste bags are available
- Be sure to bring water for yourself and your pups
- Port-a-john and hand washing station are available
- Dogs are required to be on-leash in all other areas of Dix Park
10 Things to do right now at Dix Park
Here are 10 other things to do at Dix Park on your own. This list is from an email from Dix Park:
- Use the greenway to Ride your Bike to the park
- Take a Walk through the beautiful grounds
- Enjoy the best Skyline Views of downtown Raleigh
- Fly a Kite or Drone at the Big Field
- Go for a Run on paths or grass around campus
- Hop on a Citrix Cycle and take a ride around the park (wipe down bike before and after ride)
- Sit a Spell on a park bench or blanket and Read a Book
- Bring your binoculars for Bird Watching
- Pack a Picnic or enjoy a carry-out meal from a local restaurant
- Bring your pup to the dog park!
Upcoming Events in the Triangle -- both virtual and in-personCheck out our full events calendar, where you can enter any date, or look at the events for the next few days here:
Friday, September 25, 2020
Saturday, September 26, 2020
Sunday, September 27, 2020