Drive-in movies are a favorite tradition for many families, and with so many other forms of entertainment unavailable at the moment, they are experiencing a surge of interest across the country.
Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre is located 3336 Raleigh Road, in Henderson, about 40 minutes from both Raleigh and Durham, and just 23 miles from Wake Forest.
It’s North Carolina’s oldest operating drive-in movie theatre, and one of only six in the state.
It shows movies every weekend of the year, and right now it’s showing movies (or concerts) Wednesdays through Sundays.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for kids age 3-11. Kids under 3 are free. You can purchase tickets in advance online, and it’s probably a good idea to do that.
Gates open at 7 p.m. and the movie starts at dusk.
Right now there’s a Groupon for a special deal.
Drive-In Movie Package with Soda and Popcorn for Two
$20 (full price $26)
- Two admissions to a double feature (up to a $8 value each)
- Two medium sodas (a $3 value each)
- One large popcorn (a $4 value)
Drive-In Movie Package with Soda and Popcorn for Four
$29 (full price: $52)
- Four admissions to a double feature (up to a $8 value each)
- Four medium sodas (a $3 value each)
- Two large popcorns (a $4 value)
Sometimes there is entertainment before the movie, like live music or a laser show, and they also host other events, like holiday events for kids and concerts. When there is live music or another event, the price will vary.
You might also be interested in more drive-in movies and outdoor movies in the Triangle.
Look for updates on Raleigh Road’s Facebook page.
Some rules at Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre
To make the drive-in movie a safe experience for everyone right now, Raleigh Road has instituted some rules.
- As always, please park your vehicle close to the white poles. You can back in or pull into the spot. Sedans only Rows 1 & 2. Crossover and smaller SUVs/mini vans in rows 3 & 4. Rows 5 and back for larger 4×4 trucks/SUVs. Rows 7-9 conversion vans and very large SUV/trucks.
- Please remain in or by your vehicle while watching the movies. Concession stand and bathrooms are open and the grass area in front of the screen is open. Social distancing is in effect at all areas of the theatre. If sitting outside your vehicle, please put chairs/blanket in front or behind your vehicle (between your vehicle & the big screen).
- As always, everyone will be handed a brochure with our menu at ticket booth. You can order cooked food from your vehicle using our online system (instructions included in brochure). When ordering from the concession window, please be prepared with order to keep line moving quickly as possible
- If ordering food or using the restrooms, limit 1 away from the vehicle at a time. (exceptions for parent accompanying children or people needing assistance). Please wait in vehicle until paged or texted to pick up food.
- Until further notice, they will NOT be offering refills on drinks or popcorn.
- Lot attendants will keep lines to a minimum (approx. 10 people). You may be asked to return to your car until the line subsides.
- Play area for the kids is shut down until further notice. They are opening the grassy area in front of the screen/stage.
- For the next few weeks, homemade and store-bought snacks will be allowed. Food and beverages from other restaurants will NOT be allowed. (NOTE: Allowing outside snacks might not still be in effect.)
- Masks covering your nose and mouth must be worn when you’re outside your vehicle and social distancing is not possible.
Subscribe to Triangle on the Cheap
Outdoor and Drive-In MoviesCheck out our list of outdoor and drive-in movies in the Triangle, or see some of them here: