On Saturday, November 16th, 2019, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., Liberty Arts will be holding their 4th Annual Iron Pour in the middle of Durham Central Park, 501 Foster Street, Durham.
It’s free to watch this.
They’ll be pouring 4,000 pounds of molten iron (3,000 degrees!) into molds.
Think of it as a “gritty ballet where all the dancers are decked out in helmets and head-to-toe in leathers, dancing around a roaring furnace and pouring red hot metal into molds.”
There will also be:
- Food trucks
- Beer trucks
- Drumming performances by Batalá Durham (two sets between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.)
- Fire performance by Dragoonis
- Liberty Arts artists’ works for sale
- Liberty Arts t-shirts
- Beer glasses and hand-blown glass pumpkins for sale
Bring a blanket and chairs. Get comfortable and have some fun.
Food trucks and Beer Vendors:
- Poblanos Tacos
- Bull City Burger and Brewery
Want to really get involved? You can create your own scratch block in an upcoming workshop. Scratch a design into hardened sand and watch it get filled with molten iron. The result is an iron tile. The cost is $40 per mold. You will be able to take home your iron tile from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, November 17th at the Liberty Arts Foundry at the park, across Foster Street from the pour site.
Sign up at https://www.libertyartsnc.org/classes. Have questions? Contact Liberty Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-294-8006.
2019 scratch block workshop schedule:
- October 30, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- November 2: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- November 3, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. (during the Food Truck Rodeo)
- November 6, 4:30 — 7 p.m.
- November 9, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- November 13, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- November 16, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (Day of Pour)
- November 16, 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. (Day of Pour)