Preservation Durham is offering tours of Historic Maplewood Cemetery on three Saturdays in July and August of 2020.
The tours are $12, and free to Preservation Durham members.
They are likely to sell out, so don’t delay in reserving your ticket.
These are the dates and times of the tours. Click on the link to buy a ticket.
- Saturday, July 25th, 9 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Saturday, July 25th, 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Saturday, August 1st, 9 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Saturday, August 1st, 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Saturday, August 15th, 9 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Saturday, August 15th, 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Historic Maplewood Cemetery is at 815 Kent Street, Durham.
These tours, led by our knowledgeable guides, will be:
- limited to just ten (10) people
- facemasks required
- social distancing will be practiced
Tour-goers must register and pay in advance on-line.
Maplewood was created in 1872 as Durham’s very first public amenity. The cemetery is Durham’s very first public space and its very first planned space. It is a garden of memories and our oldest repository of public art.
In Maplewood are buried captains of industry, famous educators, great philanthropists, and ordinary people. In the cemetery are reposed the origins of many Durham legends and icons.
There are stories of war and disease and the struggle against both. There are stories of love and of prejudice, of triumph and tragedy. Learn about funerary customs and grave architecture.
Enjoy the peace and solemnity of one of the city’s great historic treasures.
Please Note the Rules:
- Be on time.
- Meet at the Kent Street entrance.
- Look for the Preservation Durham banner.
- Must bring and wear your own masks.
- Hand sanitizer and cold bottled water available.
- Wear sensible shoes and comfortable clothing.
- It may be hot so bring…
- Bring sunglasses and hats because it might be hot
- Bring sunscreen
- Be advised that there are no public bathrooms
Also, check out a big list of free walking tours in the Triangle.
Upcoming Events in the Triangle -- both virtual and in-person
Thursday, August 13, 2020
Friday, August 14, 2020
Saturday, August 15, 2020
Sunday, August 16, 2020
Monday, August 17, 2020
Tuesday, August 18, 2020
Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Thursday, August 20, 2020
Friday, August 21, 2020
Saturday, August 22, 2020
Sunday, August 23, 2020
Monday, August 24, 2020
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Wednesday, August 26, 2020