The last Friday of every month, from April to November, 2021, rain or shine, Downtown Hillsborough showcases its art scene with the Last Fridays Art Walk from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Explore art galleries, artist studios, fine jewelers, boutique shops and award winning restaurants. There will also be live music, circus performers, spoken word poetry and more.
The activity takes place mostly on and around Churton Street, between West Margaret Lane and West Queen Street.
Last Fridays Art Walk on September 24
5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Herbalist, Melanie, will be leading a 1 hour walk around the River Park green, before the Living Arts Collective Join the Living Arts Collective for this month’s Plant Walk, “Indigenous Herb: The Power to Heal with Vickie Jeffries!” Vickie Jeffries (Mihe Heyananhes Yattse) is the Tribal Administrator for the Occaneechi Band of Saponi Nation. Ms. Jeffries has held this position for the past 7 years. Accepting donations for participation, if able, but the walk is open to anyone who would like to join!
Dancewave by the Living Arts Collective
6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Community Drumming w/ Pro Living Arts Collective Artists: Bashir Shakur, Diali Keba Cissokho, Beverly Botsford, Sonya Stewart, and Cindy Jones. All are invited to participate, especially children and elders! You don’t have to be a “drummer” to play or contribute. Bring a drum, another instrument, your voice, your dance – you. Some additional instruments (for all ages) will be available for loan!
- 7 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.: Juggling Show with Tain Collins!Peacock feather balancing and scarf juggling for all ages. Get ready to witness and participate in juggling magic.
- 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.: An inclusive space to move, dance, create art and express yourself within community. The music is woven in a wave format, starting slow, building to a peak and returning to stillness as part of the creative environment. Facilitated by Aubrey and Brü Roze. Movement guidance provided by Aubrey and Psalmsy. Music Weaver/DJ: Stephen Brown, an experienced DJ, Producer, and Percussionist. Artists, LA Chesson, will also be live painting and dancing along to the whole experience!
Drumming, live painting, dancing and creative arts! It’s free but please register.
Family Painting for Kids
6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Family painting workshop: paint on rocks, paper and leaves. Led by Jahde Justad Art.
Poetry “Prose” Showcase
- 6:15 – 6:45 – The Colonial Inn
- 7:00 – 7:30 – Yonder Southern Bar & Cocktails
- 7:45 – 8:15 – Margaret Lane Gallery
- Church Da’Poet – Whether in Tennessee or here in Durham, Church’Da Poet, the founder of Black Poetry Theatre, is a creator of popular entertainment. In addition to his poetry, he is also a proud father and a supporter of other’s creatives endeavors as well!
- Elliot Axiom – Axiom is a 4-year member of the Bull City Slam Team from Durham, NC and has represented NC on the regional level, national level, international level, and is the ’08 Words of Essence Slam Champion. He has been featured with the Bull City Slam Team on National Public Radio’s “The State of Things.” He is a member of the spoken word-acting troupe Black Poetry Theater where he had major roles in their productions “A Stronger Daye” and “Definition of a Hero. “
- DS Will – Co-Founder of the Press Play Poetz collective, DS Will is a well seasoned poet, MC, and blogger. DS Will has over 15 years of writing and performing to his credit and is a powerful voice, leading the way for others.
The Colonial Inn
6 – 8 PM
Meera Dahlmann & Elijah Hasskamp
8 – 11 PM
Mel Melton & The Wicked Mojos – local, NC smokin’ Zydeco/Cajun flavored blues
Margaret Lane Gallery
6:30 – 8:30 PM
Sonya Badigian & Aaron Tacke – three-finger, Bluegrass-style banjo with solid Old Time fiddling
Old Courthouse Lawn
6 – 9 PM
Bluegrass Jam Session, led by Eddie McGee & Tim Wells. BYO Banjo and come jam with us!
Music on West End
DJ Koshing at Nash Street Tavern.
Pop-Up Vaccine Clinic
A Pop-Up Vaccine Clinic, courtesy of Orange County Public Health, will be operating on the courthouse lawn. The clinic is FREE. No ID or insurance required. Open to all members of the community ages 12 and older. Register by calling (919) 913-8088 or by visiting www.myspot.nc.gov.
Last Fridays Art Walk 2021 Venue Guide
Hillsborough Arts Council Gallery & Gift Shop
102 North Churton Street
128 North Churton Street
Bull City Music School
121 North Churton Street, 1C
Hillsborough Gallery of Arts
121 North Churton Street
May 28th: Opening reception of Resurface
Hillsborough Artists Cooperative & The Skylight Gallery
102 West King Street
Yonder: Southern Cocktails and Brew
114 West King Street
Thomas Stevens Gallery/Studio 42
126 West King Street
Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston*
106 South Churton Street, Suite 100
The Paynter Law Firm
106 South Churton Street, Suite 200
Margaret Lane Gallery
121 West Margaret Lane
Orange County Historical Museum
201 N Churton Street
The Hillsborough Visitors Center
150 E King Street
Studio 71 Picture Framing & Gallery
243 S Churton Street
117 W. King Street
Pickett Sprouse Commercial Real Estate
218 S. Churton Street
The Colonial Inn
153 W. King Street
The Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce
200 N. Churton Street
Media Arts Exchange
Outside of the Hillsborough Artists Cooperative
121 N Churton St
Re-Invintaged Home Decor & More
120 S Churton Street
Hot Tin Roof
115 W. Margaret Lane
Nash Street Tavern
250 S. Nash Street
A Little Something
118 N. Churton Street