The Scrap Exchange, at 2050 Chapel Hill Road, Durham, is holding its annual DIY Fest on Saturday, April 21st, 2018, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
DIY Fest brings together artists, makers, and other creative individuals to celebrate Durham’s innovative do-it-yourself spirit, featuring kids’ activities, free demos, artist and maker vendor booths, food, music, and fun.
Unleash your inner child:
- Hands-on activities and demonstrations all day in our Design Studio and Make N Take room
- Watch or compete in Durham’s first robot sumo-wrestling Hebocon competition (advance registration required). The competition is being hosted by Splat Space, Durham’s Maker Space. Three workshops are scheduled prior to the event for those wishing to learn the rules, build their robot and secure a spot in the competition. To register for a workshop click here: Check out “Mike the Headless Chicken” created our designer, Daniel Bagnell! To learn more about the origins of Hebocon visit: https://portal.nifty.com/hebocon/rules_en.htm
- Create a bookmark and get a FREE book. The Scrap Exchange is collaborating with SCALE members to celebrate Global Youth Service Day. Participants are invited to make bookmarks to trade in for a free book from Book Harvest! Bookmarks will then be donated along with more books to Families Moving Forward, a family shelter in Durham.”
- Try your hand at screen printing on a fantastic assortment of Scrap Exchange materials with guidance from the experts at Super G Print Lab. It’s a perfect way create your own unique piece of DIY Fest memorabilia!
- Get new to you fashions at our DIY Clothing Swap, co-sponsored by Freeman’s Creative in Suite 25. Drop off your old clothes at noon and then return from 1-5 to pick out something new. PLUS, learn a new skill at the refashion and mending stations.
Artists and Makers will be stationed in the outdoor courtyard and along the sidewalk in front of the new Scrap Thrift store for those wanting to learn a new skill or pick up a beautiful hand-made item.
This festival is a great way to get to know The Scrap Exchange. If you’re an artist, parent, educator, tinkerer, or any kind of creative person, you’ll find inexpensive materials to help fuel your projects.
Hebocon Competition Schedule
10:30 – 11:00 am: Check-in time for ages 12 & under
11:00 – Noon: 12 & under matches
1:30 – 2:00 pm: Check-in time for adults & over 12
2:00 – 3:00 pm: Matches for adult & over 12
3:30: Grand Championship
- Play Futsall (mini soccer) with Durham Atletico
- Learn about sustainable gardening from Compost Now
- Create a reuse planter for your own garden and we’ll supply the seeds and soil
- Bubbles, chalk and more
- Science topics presented for kids by the Science Wizard
- Durham Public Library Book mobile
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am: Junk Jam session, our creative percussion and rhythm education program that allows everyone to play with sound using our collection of instruments built from reclaimed materials. The program is designed so anyone can participate – no musical experience is necessary!
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm: DJ Pittipat
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm : Tiny House
- 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Pagan Hellcats
- 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm: Second Shift A Cappella
- 10:00 am: Eco Faire is open to the public
- 10:30 am – 1:00 pm: Informational presentations from organizations including: Tim Profeta from the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions, Carolina Solar Services, and Ungraded Foods
- 1:00-2:00 pm: Discussion Panel: The Importance of Green Businesses
- 2:00-4:00 pm: Informational presentations from organizations including: Durham Parks Foundation, Durham Bike Co-Op, Compost Now, and Don’t Waste Durham
- 4:00-5:00 pm: Interactive Pollinator Hotel Workshop- Come make a pollinator hotel! Reservations required.
- 5:00- 6:00 pm: Documentary Screening: Wasted! The Story of Food Waste. Reservations required.