BugFest had to be rescheduled, due to Hurricane Florence. It’s now taking place October 20th:
BugFest returns to North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences on Saturday, October 20th, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
This is a free event.
This is a hugely popular annual event. Each year more than 35,000 (human) visitors come to BugFest to enjoy over 100 exhibits, crafts, games and activities. You can see the whole list here.
Just a few of the 100 exhibits, crafts, games and activities:
Arthropod Olympics: Become an Arthropod Olympian! Participate in three events: Dung Ball Races, Ant Races and Bee Races and win a medal and all the glory a bug deserves!
Arthropod Zoo: Do you like “BUGS”? Be sure to visit the Arthropod Zoo on the 4th floor during BugFest! We have LIVE exhibits and a large collection of LIVING arachnids, crustaceans, millipedes, centipedes, insects and many other arthropods and invertebrates.
Bug Bounce and Super Slide Inflatables: From hop to jump, kids will delight in bouncing like a cricket and whooshing like a dragonfly in the fabulous inflatables.
Caterpillarology: Caterpillars come in many amazing shapes and colors from 6-inch-long silk moths to furry (and stinging!) slug caterpillars. Come meet a huge variety of caterpillars that are native to North Carolina and learn how to attract caterpillars and butterflies to your yard.
Creepy Critters: Check out insect tattoos and a craft.
Sandy Feat: Navigate to the Plaza to see the one, the only, the AMAZING Sandy Feat Sand Sculpture! This year’s fabulous creation will feature BugFest’s 2018 theme arthropod, the crayfish. Watch as the sculptors etch away the sand to reveal the snazzy crayfish scene, create your own masterpiece at the base and ask questions of the sculptors.
The 2018 featured arthropod is the crayfish and other crustaceans.
Follow the Facebook event for BugFest 2018.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Jones Street, The Plaza, Edenton Street, and all four floors of the Museum will be filled with buggy fun.
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Plaza, Edenton Street, and the first floor of the NEC (main building) will be teeming with bug stations, fun activities and a street carnival.
NOTE: The evening activities had to be canceled due to the reschedule, but look for them to return in 2019.
- Enjoy the entertaining displays, exhibits and activities — both inside and outside the Museum.
- Meet entomologists and sciences.
- Learn about arthropods, which make up three-quarters of all animals on Earth, during fascinating presentations.
- Taste delectable dishes featuring creepy crawlers as a major ingredient at Café Insecta.
- Join the moths, fireflies and katydids for an exhilarating evening of nocturnal activities at the Evening Insectival.
- Learn how to keep your own hive at a Beekeeping Workshop ($10).
- Bring an unusual bug to the Stump the Experts table.
Join Friends of the Museum. Members get these perks:
- Anyone who joins or renews on-site will get a free 2018 BugFest crustacean T-shirt
- Café Insecta Fast Lane
- Free Italian Ice