BugFest, one of North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences’ most popular festivals, will be an online event this year.
BugFest 2020: A Virtual Infestation, will take place from September 14th to 19th, 2020.
The theme for each day:
- Mosquito Monday
- Beneficial Tuesday
- Art and Culture Wednesday
- Entomophagy Thursday
- Prime Crime Friday
- BugFest Bugstravaganza Saturday
There will be many programs throughout the week. Some require registration, so make sure to follow the above link for registration links.
Monday, September 14th:
- 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.: What’s the Buzz? From NASA Satellites to Smart Phones: Working together to reduce the threat of mosqito-transmitted disease
- 11 am. to 11:20 a.m.: Bedbugs, beetles and butterflies: Entomology at BASF
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.: Tigers in Toilet Bowls, Gallon Nippers & Mother Death: A Natural History of Mosquitoes
- 1 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.: BugFest BugBlitz 2020 Kickoff Video Premiere
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Can plants keep pests away?
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Weird Wingless Flies: Why it was smart for flies to ditch flight
- 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.: BugFest Craft: Fly Eyes
- 7 p.m .to 8 p.m.: The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator
Tuesday, September 15th:
- 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.: Black Soldier Grubs: Nature’s Amazing Food Waste Recycler
- 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.: Bug Yoga for Kids
- 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.: Butterflies and moths
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.: Flies: Fascinating, numerous and everywhere
- 1 p.m. to 1:55 p.m.: Maggots
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: The forgotten pollinators: Flies
- 3 p.m. to 3:45 pm.: You can’t have chocolate without flies
- 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Flies eat more than you think
- 5 p.m.to 6 p.m.: Humans and flies are more similar than you think
- 6 pm. to 7 p.m.: Trivia Tuesday: BugFest Edition
- 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Learn to tie flies with Orvis
Wednesday, September 16th:
- 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.: Love Nature: The Biophilia Podcast Launch Event
- 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.: Fly Again Yoga
- 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Pom-Pom Pals: The Fruit Fly
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.: Bugs in Art: The Good, the bad, the beautiful
- 1:15 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.: The Fly Room and Science Filmmaking
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: The BugFest Zine Workshop
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.: HeART of the Hive: BEE Creative with Kidzu
- 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.: Pom-Pom Pals: The Fruit Fly
- 5 p.m.: Members Exclusive
- 6 p.m.: Museum Movie Night BugFest Edition: The Fly
Thursday, September 17th:
- 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: BugFest Coding Workshop
- 1 p.m.to 2 p.m.: Super Noses on the Scent of Insects: USDA dogs trained to detect Mexican Fruit Fly
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: BugFest Critter Cook Off
- 3 pm. to 3:15 p.m.: Building Better Plants
- 4 p.m. to 4:20 p.m.: The past, present and future of eating insects
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.: BugFest Coding Workshop
- 7 pm. to 8 pm.: Science Cafe: Insect diversity in the Smokies
Friday, September 18th:
- 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.: Sticky fingers: the art of honey extraction
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.: Aquatic Flies can really suck!
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.: The Forensic Entomology Experience
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: The wicked, woolly wrongdoer: Hemlock Woolly Adelgid
- 2 p.m. to 2:50 pm.: The Avengers: Bug Superheroes saving trees
- 4 p.m. to 4:35 p.m.: BOLO (Be On The Look Out) for These “Most Unwanted” Tree Killers!
Saturday, September 19th:
- 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.: BugBlitz 2020: Meet the experts
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.: What Do You Do with Millions of Dead Bugs?
- 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Beautiful, Brilliant and Bizarre Flies YOU Can Find in North Carolina
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.: The Inside Out of Flies
- 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Live Honey Bee Hive Inspections
- 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.: Paleozoic Megabugs! –Giant Arthropods from Before the Dinosaurs
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Caterpillarology
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Ask a Naturalist: Arthropod Edition
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Amazing Aquatic Arthropods!
- 6p.m. to 7 p.m.: Fractal Rings and Butterfly Wings: Paper modeling for the young and the young at heart
- 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.: BugFest Party at Your Porchlight!