We are putting together a huge list of holiday events in the Triangle, including parades, festivals, markets, Santa visits, and more. Check out our growing day by day list of holiday events in the Triangle!
It will take place in the Museum Park on Saturday, December 10th, 2022, from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. The procession will start at 6 p.m. at the Ellipse.
Bring your own homemade lantern, or come at 4:30 p.m. to make one with the Museum. See guidelines, below.
The walk is on a paved trail, about 3/4 of a mile long. It’s wheelchair-accessible.
This is a free event.
- 4:30—6 pm: Lantern-making, vendors, community outreach tables, music, concessions in the Ellipse
- 6—6:45 pm: Lantern procession along a paved, three-quarter-mile Museum Park trail. Please do not begin walking before 6 pm. We will gather everyone and start at the same time, making sure to space people out so we all can enjoy the views and take our time to have a peaceful walk.
- 6:30—7:30 pm: Festivities continue in the Ellipse. This is a great time to make a new friend and take photos of the most creative lanterns!
- You can make your own lantern at home in advance to bring with you (see the guidelines and inspiration below for using your own materials at home).
- Purchase a papier-m¢ch© lantern kit to make at home in advance. These will be available for purchase at any NCMA Store location during regular hours and at the Hillsborough Arts Council’s Gallery and Gift Shop beginning November 9. The kits include everything you need!
- Join us on Saturday, November 19, for a Handmade Paper Lanterns Open Studio to make your lantern. We will provide all the materials and guidance, just bring your imagination! There will be a second lantern-making workshop in Hillsborough on December 17.
- Come early to the Winter Lantern Walk, from 4:30—6 pm, to purchase a lantern made by a local vendor or buy a simplified kit to make one yourself, while limited supplies last.
Handmade Paper Lanterns Open Studio
On November 19th, 2022, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., there will be a lantern making open studio in the East Building. The cost is $12 for Museum members and $14 for non-members. All materials and instructions will be included.
Handmade Lantern Guidelines
- Use white paper/material; limit other colors to blues, creams, silvers, and golden hues.
- No candles or flames. If you want to illuminate your lantern, use white battery-operated string or LED lights.
- Get creative! Cut out your own unique design or layer paper designs on top. You can even purchase a premade paper lantern and modify that.
- Lanterns can be any shape or size. Bells, chimes, and other embellishments can also be added. We encourage you to make it your own!
- See more resources and videos for inspiration.
More Holiday Events in the Triangle
Check out our big list of holiday events in the Triangle, or look at a few of them here:
Saturday, November 26, 2022
Sunday, November 27, 2022
Monday, November 28, 2022
Tuesday, November 29, 2022
Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Thursday, December 1, 2022
Friday, December 2, 2022
Saturday, December 3, 2022
Sunday, December 4, 2022
Monday, December 5, 2022
Tuesday, December 6, 2022
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
Thursday, December 8, 2022
Friday, December 9, 2022
Saturday, December 10, 2022