The North Carolina Museum of Art is hosting a Winter Lantern Walk on Saturday, December 9, 2023, from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
We’ve put together a huge list of holiday events in the Triangle, including parades, festivals, markets, Santa visits, and more. Check out our growing day by day list of holiday events in the Triangle!
It will take place in the Museum Park. The procession will gather at 5:30 p.m. at the Ellipse.
Bring your own homemade lantern, or come at 4:30 p.m. to make one with the Museum. See guidelines, below.
The walk is on a paved trail, about 3/4 of a mile long. It’s wheelchair-accessible.
This is a free event.
- 4:30 pm: Lantern-making, music, and socializing on the Ellipse.
- 5:30 pm: Lantern procession assembles on the Ellipse. Please do not begin walking before 6 pm. We will gather everyone to walk at the same time and take our time to have a peaceful walk.
- 6:30: Festivities conclude on the Ellipse.
- You can make your own lantern at home in advance to bring with you (read on for guidelines and inspiration for using your own materials at home).
- Reserve a free paper-mâché lantern kit and pick it up on November 18 to make at home in advance. Learn more and reserve yours. Supplies are limited.
- Attend one of our lantern-making workshops on November 18, either the Advanced Handmade Paper Lantern Workshop: Pyramid Lights or All-Level Handmade Paper Lantern Open Studio. We provide all the materials and guidance, just bring your imagination!
- Come early to the NCMA Winter Lantern Walk on December 9 between 4:30 and 5:30 pm to assemble and decorate a simple premade accordion paper lantern (free of charge; first come, first served while limited supplies last).
Handmade Lantern Guidelines
- No candles or flames. If you want to illuminate your lantern, use battery-operated lights.
- Use white paper/material; limit additional colors to blues, creams, silvers, and golden hues. Get creative!
- Cut out your own unique design or layer paper designs on top. You can even purchase a premade paper lantern and modify that.
- Lanterns can be any shape or size. Bells, chimes, and other embellishments can also be added. We encourage you to make it your own!
- See more resources and videos for inspiration.
More Holiday Events in the Triangle
Check out our big list of holiday events in the Triangle, or look at a few of them here: