The Orange County Veterans Day Celebration takes place Friday, November 11th, 2022, at 11 a.m., at Southern Human Services Campus, 2501 Homestead Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.
This event is free and open to the public.
For the first time, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will join Orange County leaders in a joint ceremony. All of the University’s ROTC programs (Army, Navy, and Air Force) will be represented at the ceremony.
Live music will be provided by Russell Howard of The Auxiliary. The event is free and open to the public. Parking available at site.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz, will speak. Guskiewicz, a neuroscientist, academic leader and concussion researcher, is the 12th chancellor of the university.
Special guest speaker is Major General George Alan Higgins, US Army (Ret.)
Veterans Day Program
- Master of Ceremony: James I. Merritt, US Army (Vietnam)
- Posting of Colors: UNC ROTC Joint-Service Color Guard
- Invocation/Pledge of Allegiance: Lee Heavlin, Master Chief Petty Officer, US Navy (Ret.)
- National Anthem: Cadet Jacob Ratashak
- Welcome: Col. Fred Black, US Army (Ret.)
- Recognitions of Branches of Service: Regina Merritt, US Army
- Introduction of Guest Speaker: Kevin Guskiewicz, Chancellor, University of North Carolina
- Veterans Day Address: Major General George Higgins, US Army (Ret.)
- Fundraising Update: Bruce Runberg, Captain, US Navy (Ret.)
- Recognition of Elected Officials, Dignitaries: Barbara Foushee, Council Member, Carrboro Town Council
- Closing Remarks: Renee Price, Chair, Orange County Board of Commissioners
- Traffic Control: Orange County Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Charles Blackwood
- Retiring of the Colors
- Sounding of Taps
Parking is available at site.
More Veterans Day Events and Deals
Check out our complete Veterans Day coverage, including events, freebies and deals in the Triangle, or look at some of the events here: