Once a month, N.C. Museum of Natural sciences holds a free event for teens, Open MInds Teen Science Café
These events take place the first Friday of the month (with a couple of exceptions; see below) during the school year, from 6 to 7 p.m., at the Daily Planet Cafe, the coffee shop within the Nature Research Center, at 121 W Jones Street, Raleigh.
Each cafe will includes a science presentation, an interactive activity related to the discussion, a Q& A session and time to socialize with other teens who enjoy science.
The program is is recommended for ages 11 to 17.
- September 9, 2022: Teen Science Trivia!
- October 7, 2022: Ancient DNA: The Making of a Celebrity Science, with paleontology Postdoctoral Researcher Dr. Elizabeth Jones
- November 4, 2022: Marine Biology, with UNC-Wilmington Master’s student Elizabeth Farquhar
- December 2, 2022: TBD
- January 6, 2023: Ecology Presentation, with Dr. Karen Kandl, University of Western Carolina
- February 3, 2023: Hydrology & Carbon Cycling, with Dr. Diego Riveros-Iregui, professor/researcher at UNC-Chapel Hill
- March 3, 2023: Animal Behavior and Sharks, with Michelle Jewell, a science communicator at NCSU’s Department of Applied Ecology
- April 14, 2023: The Chemistry of Disease, with Dr. Erin Baker, Associate Professor at NCSU
Upcoming Events in the TriangleCheck out our full events calendar, where you can enter any date, or look at the events for the next few days here:
Friday, November 25, 2022
Saturday, November 26, 2022
Sunday, November 27, 2022