Juniper Level Botanic Garden and Plant Delights Nursery, at 9241 Sauls Rd, Raleigh, features 28 acres of of more than 30,000 kinds of plants, including native perennials, exotic plants, rare delights, and an array of unusual trees and shrubs that you won’t see anywhere else in the world.
Plant Delights Nursery is not your typical nursery. Many of the plants were collected by founder Tony Avent during plant hunting expeditions to China, Crete, Taiwan, South Africa and Argentina, as well as domestically.
Read on to learn how to visit for free during eight weekends every year. There will also be free gardening talks, Gardening Unplugged. Read on for the schedule of these free talks.
Established in 1988 on a two-acre tract 12-miles south of downtown Raleigh, not-for-profit Juniper Level Botanic Garden has grown into a 28-acre educational, research, and display garden.
Globally known by horticulturalists, botanists, and discerning gardeners, Juniper Level Botanic Garden amassed one of the world’s most diverse plant collections over the past 25 years.
Plant Delights grows all of its garden plants right in the garden nursery, and you can order perennials online through the website and via a printed catalogue. They ship plants all over the world.
It is open to the public just eight weekends each year for Open Garden and Nursery Days.
During these days, no visit requests are needed. Parking is free. Rain or shine.
Explore the garden and get inspiration for your own garden, and shop the sales greenhouses.
Juniper Level Botanic Garden Open Nursery and Garden Days in 2022
On Open Nursery and Garden Days, opening hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, and 1 to 5 p.m. on Sundays.
- February 25th
- February 26th
- February 27th
- March 4th
- March 5th
- March 6th
- April 29th
- April 30th
- May 1st
- May 6th
- May 7th
- May 8th
- July 15th
- July 16th
- July 17th
- July 22nd
- July 23rd
- July 24th
- September 16th
- September 17th
- September 18th
- September 23rd
- September 24th
- September 25th
At the summer open nursery and garden days, there will be free gardening talks. You don’t need to register. Just meet at the welcome tent.
- Friday, September 16 – 10:00am: Gardening with Water (Jeremy Schmidt)
- Friday, September 16 – 2:00pm : Greenhouses and Cold Frames (Meghan Fidler)
- Saturday, September 17 – 10:00am: Fall Blooming Bulbs (Zac Hill)
- Saturday, September 17 – 2:00pm: Gardening for Birds – (Dr. Patrick McMillan)
- Sunday, September 18 – 2:00pm: Fall Garden Maintenance (Jeremy Schmidt)
- Friday, September 23 – 10:00am: Ornamental Grasses (Tony Avent)
- Friday, September 23 – 2:00pm: Fall Pollinators (Bill Reynolds)
- Saturday, September 24 – 10:00am: The Language of Flowers (Meghan Fidler)
- Saturday, September 24 – 2:00pm: Fall Blooming Natives (Dr. Patrick McMillan)
- Sunday, September 25 – 2:00pm: Tree Talk – Just Look Up (Tony Avent)