Morehead Planetarium and Science Center, 250 E Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, is reopening on November 7th, 2020, after a 6-month closure and 18-month renovation.
Their hours on opening weekend will be:
- Saturday, November 7th: 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, November 8th: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Timed tickets will be required.
From Morehead Planetarium and Science Center’s website:
Morehead Planetarium and Science Center will reopen its doors to the public on Saturday, November 7 in accordance with Centers for Disease Control, state, and local guidelines. The reopening comes after a multi-year renovation and six-month COVID-19 closure that began in March.
Visitors will enjoy a wide range of new temporary and permanent exhibits that highlight multiple STEM disciplines. Exhibits in the rotunda of the building focus on the history of Morehead and its astronomy roots. The Breakthrough Hub located at the exhibit level features interactive displays that help demonstrate research from UNC scientists working in biology, marine science, biomedical engineering, and more.
“Morehead has inspired millions since opening in 1949,” says Director Todd Boyette. “As we’ve grown, however, our building was no longer fit for purpose. This renovation provides a cutting-edge facility that matches our innovative programs.”
Structural improvements to the building include ADA upgrades like the installation of a new elevator and a ramp to access the basement where there are bathrooms and a hallway exhibit.
Here’s the pricing for admission and one planetarium show:
- Children under 3: FREE
- Children (age 3-12): $12.95
- Adults: $14.95
- Seniors, Students w/ID: $13.95
- UNC Students: Free admission, $4.00 per planetarium show
However, currently there is a discount of $3 from the above prices, to reflect the current limitations.
Current safety protocols:
- Visitors will be required to reserve 2-hour timed tickets online ahead of time.
- All guests over the age of 2 will be required to wear a mask.
- The number of patrons will be limited to 25% or less of the building’s capacity at any given time.
- Physical distancing will be enforced throughout the building including in the 200-seat fulldome theater.
- New cleaning and sanitization procedures have been developed in accordance with guidelines by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Morehead is instituting a strict mask policy:
In accordance with CDC recommendations, all guests age 2 and older are required to wear a mask while inside of the building. At this time, we are not accepting gaiters, vented masks, and bandanas. We are asking that you delay your visit if you or anyone in your party cannot wear a mask for any reason. In the meantime, we invite you to explore our virtual program offerings via Morehead At Home.
Morehead team members will also be required to wear a face mask at all times, and in some instances, may wear a face shield for additional protection.
Please read about their safety policy here.
Morehead Planetarium and Science Center will continue to offer virtual educational opportunities through Morehead At Home.Subscribe to Triangle on the Cheap
Upcoming Events in the Triangle -- both virtual and in-personCheck out our full events calendar, where you can enter any date, or look at the events for the next few days here:
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Friday, December 4, 2020
Saturday, December 5, 2020