Music venues are experiencing some dire times right now. Shows aren’t happening, but they still have the expenses of rent and other overhead costs. Even after they’re able to start presenting shows again, they will be facing reduced revenue.
Some of the most notable artists in North Carolina, across multiple genres, have joined together to help Cat’s Cradle, the iconic music venue in Carrboro that’s been an integral part of the music and social scene for for 50 years.
Cover Charge: NC Artists Go Under Cover to Benefit Cat’s Cradle is a collection of 25 songs by North Carolina artists. Each one has recorded a cover of a favorite song.
All proceeds will benefit Cat’s Cradle.
Pre-orders for the digital-only release will begin July 3, and include an instant download of five tracks. Additional tracks will be released subscription-style each Friday throughout the month of July as a reward for early purchase.
Here’s a list of each artist, the song they’ve contributed, and the original artist.
- Superchunk “Can’t Stop the World” (The Go-Go’s)
- Sarah Shook & the Disarmers “Apocalypse” (Cigarettes After Sex)
- Hiss Golden Messenger and Jonathan Wilson “Travellin’ in Style” (Free)
- The dB’s “I’m on an Island” (The Kinks)
- Steep Canyon Rangers “Unknown Legend” (Neil Young)
- Eric Bachmann & Skylar Gudasz “All I Have to Do is Dream” (The Everly Brothers)
- The Connells “Keep Your Distance” (Richard Thompson)
- Mandolin Orange “Boots of Spanish Leather” (Bob Dylan)
- The Love Language “Everything Flows” (Teenage Fanclub)
- Dex Romweber (feat. Jennifer Curtis) “A Face in the Crowd” (Andy Giffith)
- Tift Merritt “Help Me Make It Through The Night” (Kris Kristofferson)
- The Old Ceremony “Alone Again Or” (Love)
- Mayflies USA “There is a Light that Never Goes Out” (The Smiths)
- The Mountain Goats “The Longest Winter” (Paradise Lost)
- Faith Jones “For What It’s Worth” (Buffalo Springfield)
- Mipso “Long Distance Love” (Little Feat)
- Terry Anderson and The Olympic-Ass Kickin Team “Every Night” (Paul McCartney)
- Florence Dore “Somewhere Down the Line” (Marshall Crenshaw)
- Southern Culture on the Skids “Let’s Work Together” (Canned Heat)
- Iron & Wine “Piss Diary” (Kingsbury Manx)
- Mount Moriah “Don’t Let It Bring You Down” (Neil Young)
- Sam Melo of Rainbow Kitten Surprise “Stars” (Janis Ian)
- Don Dixon & Marti Jones “Respoken” (The Lovin Spoonful)
- Chatham County Line “Think I’m in Love” (Beck)
- The Veldt “Dress You Up” (Madonna)