Visit Downtown Park, 319 S. Academy Street, Cary, for Wheels on Academy, Saturday, May 19th, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
This fun event features cars and trucks of all kinds. It’s free to attend.
Just a note: South Academy Street will be closed from 5:30 a.m. until approximately 3:30 p.m. for the event. Dry Avenue will be closed from Walnut Street to Faculty Street to accommodate the Public Safety Day activities. Chatham Street, Harrison Avenue, and Walker Street will remain open during the event.
Another note: Touch-a-Truck will have a “no horn hour” from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. to make it more comfortable for guests with sensitive hearing, so that would be a good time to come if loud noises are uncomfortable for a member of your family.
Here’s some of what’s going on and what you’ll see:
- Cars of yesteryear
- Modern hot rods
- Exotic cars
- Public Safety Day, with police and fire vehicles
- Touch-a-Truck, with GoCary bus, garbage truck and more
- Hagerty youth judging program, where kids get to judge pre-selected cars
- Take-apart Mode T demonstration
- Children’s crafts
- Play-Well TEKnologies gravity car challenge using LEGOs
- Live music from the Magic Pipers
- Live music from Whiskey Runners
- Police vs. Fire fitness challenge
Day-of registration for the car show is available, in case you’ve got a vehicle you’d like to show off. The cars will be on view along South Academy Street and trophies will be awarded for the “Top 50” and “Mayor’s Award.” Touch-A-Truck will take place at the south end of South Academy Street and the new Downtown Park.