Leigh Farm Park, 370 Leigh Farm Rd, Durham, is 82.8-acre property is anchored by a 7-acre historic core listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The historic area includes:
- Leigh House (circa 1835)
- An early 19th century dairy
- A mid-19th century enslaved peoples cabin with notable stick-built chimney
- A mid-19th century smokehouse and corn crib
- A late 19th century well house
- A late 19th century carriage house
- The Leigh Family Cemetery
The property also features:
- A 2nd mid-19th century slave cabin with a 1930 Rustic Revival log addition
- An early 20th century tobacco barn and pack house
- Several mid-20th century residences
- Wooded acreage that was historically open agricultural land
Please note that some parts of the park, particularly buildings, might not be open right now.
Coming up at Leigh Farm Park
To find and enroll in the tours at Leah Farm Park go to the Durham Park & Recreation activity guide search page.
Select Activities (on the top) and then click on Cultural Heritage.
Here’s what’s listed, but you should check for updates. Also, make sure to enroll in the tour you’re interested in.
Leigh Farm History Tour
Saturdays 10 a.m.
Scheduled through December 12th, 2020
Take a guided-tour of Leigh Farm Park. You’ll learn about the families who lived here, their work, and life on a middle-class plantation. Venture up to the historic farmhouse while also visiting the enslaved people’s cabin, speakeasy, and the Leigh Family Cemetery.
Subscribe to Triangle on the Cheap
Upcoming Free Walking Tours in the TriangleCheck out a big list of free walking tours in the Triangle. Or look at a list of a few of them here:
Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Thursday, October 29, 2020
Friday, October 30, 2020
Saturday, October 31, 2020
Sunday, November 1, 2020
Monday, November 2, 2020
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Wednesday, November 4, 2020
Thursday, November 5, 2020
Friday, November 6, 2020
Saturday, November 7, 2020
Sunday, November 8, 2020
Monday, November 9, 2020
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
Weekly on Saturday @ 10:00 am-3:00 pm (September 12, 2020 - December 12, 2020)