Leigh Farm Park, 370 Leigh Farm Rd, Durham, is 82.8-acre property is anchored by a 7-acre historic core listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The historic area includes:
- Leigh House (circa 1835)
- An early 19th century dairy
- A mid-19th century enslaved peoples cabin with notable stick-built chimney
- A mid-19th century smokehouse and corn crib
- A late 19th century well house
- A late 19th century carriage house
- The Leigh Family Cemetery
The property also features:
- A 2nd mid-19th century slave cabin with a 1930 Rustic Revival log addition
- An early 20th century tobacco barn and pack house
- Several mid-20th century residences
- Wooded acreage that was historically open agricultural land
Coming up at Leigh Farm Park
To find and enroll in the tours at Leah Farm Park go to the Durham Park & Recreation activity guide search page.
Select Activities (on the top) and then click on Cultural Heritage.
Here’s what’s listed, but you should check for updates. Also, make sure to enroll in the tour you’re interested in.
Leigh Farm History Tour
Saturdays from September 4th to December 11th, 2021 (except for September 25th)
10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Take a guided-tour of Leigh Farm Park. You’ll learn about the families who lived here, their work, and life on a middle-class plantation. Venture inside the historic farmhouse while also visiting the enslaved people’s cabin, speakeasy, and the Leigh Family Cemetery. Drop-in program. Registration is not required.
Hands-On-History Workshop: Archaeology
November 6th, 2021
Free, but registration is required, and space is limited
Calling all future archaeologists, let’s dig! Discover the exciting science of archaeology. Search for artifacts and find out how we can use them to gain a better understanding of how people used to live. Registration is required and one adult must remain with their child(ren) throughout the program.
Upcoming Events in the Triangle -- both virtual and in-personCheck out our full events calendar, where you can enter any date, or look at the events for the next few days here:
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Thursday, September 23, 2021
Friday, September 24, 2021