Locopops Dessert Cafe, at 2618 Hillsborough Road, Durham, offers more than just tasty treats and coffee.
It hosts music jam sessions as well. All are free to attend. Just pay for your popsicles, ice cream, baked goods or coffee.
Here’s what’s coming up:
Old Time Learning Jam
6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
This jam is focused on teaching and learning Old Time music on fiddle, banjo, guitar, and bass. Singing too! Instructors welcome donations from jam participants.
The Beat Market at Locopops
Sunday, June 2nd, 2019
12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Check out some art and listen to live music. Bring a blanket. Buy a pop! This event is from Durham Beat. Bull City Street Food food truck will be there. There will also be raffles.
Live Music by:
- Simone Finally
- Kevin Clark
- Dylan Marcone (of Absent Lovers)
- JoRose -I am an artchemist. Creating representations of the ideas in my head on stages, in costumes, art and other follies. (IG: @_jo_rose_)
- Cool Boy 36 – rare custom garments mostly in the form of workwear, streetwear, and casual fashion. (IG: @coolboyrebel)
- FranMoné Fragrances – we offer a variety of handmade goods. From Soy candles to essential oils we have it. This business was created to offer soothing fragrances to fill your home, work space or even take with you on the go. (IG: @franmonefragrances)
- Killdeer pottery – is Hendall Loeffler’s ceramic project. I combine various local clays and use various printmaking techniques to create relief designs in my ceramics. (IG: @killdeerpottery)
- Slowwjam – I paint abstract, colorful images that are darkly funny and often considered crass/gross. I’m inspired by folklore, fantasy, comic books and the female body. I print, paint, sculpt and use a variety of materials from markers and pencils to spray paint and glitter. (IG: @slowwjam)
- Vann Thomas Powell – an American contemporary landscape photographer. His work focuses on the often overlooked subtle beauty surrounding the mundanity of the American landscape. Using the Lacanian notion of lack, Vann works to recognize and underline the effect that contemporary landscape has on the individual and identity and how it works to shape these notions of self. (IG: @vannnotvan)
- Dirty Consumer – melodramatic expressions of helplessness. Tissues issued at the door. (IG: @dirtyconsumer)
- Dress Kit – a mini vintage store stocked with clothes, housewares, collectibles, ephemera and music accessories based in Durham, NC. We carry items from the 1950’s through the Y2K era, western wear, mid century objects and 80’s/90’s teenage dream nostalgia. (IG: @dresskitdurham)
- Cipher Art – handmade, analog mixed media pieces; specializes in reusing old papers, photos, wood, etc. (IG: @cipherart)
- Matthias Pressley–My main focus is to create wearable art that make the canvas (generally free/open-minded people) feel one-of-a-kind and special. My art is often whimsical and emotional and draws on subjects that can be relatable to visionaries, spectators or just appreciators. (IG: @artbymatthias)
- Justin Leitner – I strive to capture the feeling of the world with the use of powerful color combinations, intuition, and texture. My paintings are inspired by William Turner and Salvador Dali. My mission is to bring one of a kind original paintings that are affordable for anybody by offering miniature paintings that can be hung on the wall, or stood up on a desk. (IG: leitner_studios)
Local raffle prizes throughout the day from neighbor contributors:
- Frog Hollow Outdoors
- Durham Tire & Auto Center
- Durham Beat
- Bull City Records
Youth Bluegrass Jam
Sunday, June 30th, 2019
2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The Youth Bluegrass Jam is hosted by PineCone–Piedmont Council of Traditional Music.
Calling all youth musicians who play fiddle, guitar, mandolin, banjo and bass. You are invited to bring your instrument and jam with your peers–other kids in the area who enjoy playing the same types of music you do!
The youth jam will include some skill building and songs will be determined depending on the skill levels of the group. We’ll learn a featured song at the beginning of each jam, then play a variety of tunes together. Participants are also encouraged to bring a prepared song to sing and/or play with the group.
More upcoming free music events
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Friday, May 24, 2019
Saturday, May 25, 2019
Sunday, May 26, 2019
Monday, May 27, 2019
Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Thursday, May 30, 2019
Friday, May 31, 2019
Saturday, June 1, 2019