For two weekends Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s are both hosting free fishing activities.
Gone Fishing will offer:
- Catch and Release Pond
- Free First Fish Certificate
- Free Fishing 101 Booklet to the first 100 visitors each day
- Free Stress Fish on Saturdays to the first 100 kids participating on the catch and release pond
- Free photo download of your child with fish on a magazine cover
- Free Father’s Day photo download on June 15th and 16th
- Free kids’ bobber hanging craft
- Free Tin “Gone Fishing” sign for the first 75 visitors each day
Some stores will have a casting challenge instead of a catch and release pond.
Gone Fishing will take place from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on these dates:
- Saturday, June 8th, 2019
- Sunday, June 9th, 2019
- Saturday, June 15th, 2019
- Sunday, June 16, 2019
Kids are encouraged to get outdoors. If they donate a video game, which will go to a non-profit organization, they’ll get $5 off a rod and reel purchase of at least $19.99.
In addition there will be free fishing seminars (subject to change)
- 1 p.m.: Catching, spinning, or spincast outfits: selecting the proper tackle
- 2 p.m.: How to fish jigs: jigs, specialty rigs, and more
- 3 p.m.: Fishing checklist: what you need to fish local waters
- 1 p.m.: Take kids fishing: how, where, and what you need
- 2 p.m.: Basic knot tying and what line type to use
- 1 p.m.: Features and benefits of today’s electronics: how they can help locate fish
- 2 p.m.: Kayak fishing: how to set up your kayak for fishing fun
- 1 p.m.: How to find fish in every season
- 2 p.m.: Electronics: how to set up your boat for fishing fun
Bass Pro Shops is in Harrison Square, at 801 Bass Pro Lane, Cary.
Cabela’s is at 201 Cabela Drive, Garner.