The 5th annual Wake Forest Dirt Day takes place Saturday, April 6th, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., along South White Street in downtown Wake Forest.
This is a celebration of spring.
As part of the festivities, The Urban Forestry Board is hosting the Tree Seedling Giveaway.
Information on the Giveaway:
During the tree seedling giveaway, UFB members, Town staff and volunteers will distribute over 800 dogwood and redbud seedlings to area residents – while they last. Dirt Day begins at 10 a.m., so anyone interested in obtaining free tree seedlings is encouraged to arrive at the start of the event – if not earlier.
In addition to distributing the tree seedlings, volunteers will be on hand to help residents decide which seedlings grow best in their respective yard conditions, demonstrate proper mulching and pruning techniques and discuss simple, yet effective tree care practices. Volunteers will also share information about the volunteer Tree Steward Program.
Please note: The UFB will distribute the tree seedlings in seedling bags, so organizers are no longer asking residents to bring their own reusable shopping tote or other environmentally-friendly bag when they pick up their seedlings.
Here’s some of what’s going:
- Kids play in the sand
- Plant herbs for home windowsills
- Explore trucks from S.T. Wooten Corporation
- Adults learn about the newest techniques in gardening and composting
- Check out the newest outdoor activity gear
- Visit vendors
- Make a craft from recycled materials with the Scrap Exchange
- Paint rocks
- Meet owls and other rescued wildlife
- Meet Master Gardeners and other outdoor educators
- Food vendors
There will be exercise classes in Centennial Plaza in front of Town Hall:
- 10:15 a.m.: Adult Yoga, sponsored by Unwined on White
- 1:45 p.m.: Family Yoga, sponsored by Unwined on White
- 11:15 a.m.: Boot camp, sponsored by Camp Gladiator