The city of Durham offers all teens age 13-18 free activities both during the school year and during the summer, through MyDurham.
Teens need to just register once, either at the above link, or at any of the participating Recreation Centers. The programs are held at Durham Recreation Centers.
Teens from age 13 to 18 are eligible. Also, several of the programs include park cleanups and event setups, which teens can use to fulfill volunteer hours.
The activities vary widely, and include things like:
- Chess club
- Ultimate frisbee
- Open Gym
- Hang time
- Video game tournament
- Job readiness
- Two Hand Football
- Board Games
- Much more
- Indoor hockey
- Trips three days a week
These are drop-in programs. Teens don’t have to go the program every day, and they don’t need to register in advance for a particular day. They just have to sign up for My Durham.
Free School Year Programs for Teens with MyDurham
MyDurham activities take place Monday through Friday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., at the following recreation centers:
- I.R Holmes, Sr. Recreation Center at Campus Hills- 2000 S. Alston Avenue, 919-560-4444
- W.D. Hill Recreation Center – 1308 Fayetteville Street, 919-560-4292
- Walltown Park Recreation Center – 1308 W. Club Boulevard, 919-560-2496
- Weaver Street Recreation Center – 3000 E. Weaver St., 919-560-4294
- Holton Career and Resource Center – 401 N Driver St., 919-354-2750
- The Durham Teen Center at Lyon Park – 1101 Cornell St., 919-354-2730
Free Summer Programs for Teens with MyDurham
MyDurham activities take place in the summer, from Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the following locations:
- Weaver Street Recreation Center, 3000 East Weaver Street, 919-560-4294
- Durham Teen Center at Lyon Park, 1101 Cornell Street, 919-354-2730