Firefly Farm, at 4911 Hunt Road in Hillsborough, offers visitors a chance to pick their own flowers and create bouquets. U-pick flowers opened this year in early May. The variety of flowers will vary according to what is in season.
The farm will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Wednesday to Saturday. Follow Firefly Farm on Facebook for updates during the growing season.
The cost is $20 per group. You’ll be able to pick enough to create several bouquets. Learn all about U-pick flowers at Firefly Farm.
After you buy your ticket it’s good for any one day during the growing season.
Please also check out our big list of U-pick farms in the Triangle. It includes places to pick flowers, berries, and much more. You might also be interested in our list of farmers’ markets in the Triangle, where you can find the freshest produce and flowers, already picked.
$20 for several flower arrangements is a bargain that is hard to beat. And not just that, but you know that the flowers are absolutely the freshest they can be, because you will cut them yourself!
You can choose your favorite flowers, and be creative in how you arrange the flowers.
Want to be prepared before your visit, so that you make the best arrangement from the flowers? Here are some tips on arranging flowers:
- Cut stems at an angle. This helps the flowers soak up water.
- Create a specific mood with the color pallet of your flowers. Yellow flowers add energy, light purple flowers feel calming. How do the flowers make you feel? Go with that!
- Remove any stainable pollen from the the flowers.
- Add a block of floral foam to your vase, and soak it before putting it in the vase.
- Be creative with vases. You can use any kind of vessel, including watering cans, mason jars, wine bottles, a teapot, a tin can, or even rain boots! It all depends on what mood you want to create with the flowers.
Here are more tips for arranging flowers, from ftd.com.
While you’re on the farm, you can visit the chickens, horses and miniature donkeys. You’re encouraged to bring a picnic and spend some time on the farm. Picnic tables and restrooms are available.
Follow Firefly Farm on Facebook for updates and their opening hours, as they’re announced.
Subscribe to Triangle on the Cheap