Apex, NC, is celebrating its sesquicentennial — its 150th birthday — this year in 2023. The town is celebrating all year. Learn about Apex’s history and the special events at apex150.com.
One of the signature events will be Party in the Peak, which takes place Saturday, September 23, 2023, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., on the Apex Town Campus, 73 Hunter Street, Apex, NC.
This free event, which is hosted by the Town of Apex, is the largest sesquicentennial celebration, and features food trucks, historic exhibits, live music and more.
The Apex Town Campus will be transformed into an interactive museum for all ages.
There will be Interactive exhibits focusing on the town’s past, present, and potential.
- Past exhibit: View large displays of Apex history and artifacts shared by community members (Do you have a historic photo or item? Click here to share it for the day).
- Present exhibit: Watch any of over 100 community stories told by community members of all backgrounds.
- Potential exhibit: Share your hopes for our potential by joining an interactive public art installation and viewing snapshots of adopted plans that guide Apex’s tomorrow.
A stage will have a line-up full of Apex personality including local musicians, youth performances, and storytelling from community members
The GovLove kids area will have activities and games, created to showcase Town jobs and the important role they play in our community.
A food truck hangout will host your favorite local trucks serving up special 150th menu items in commemorative souvenirs.
- 10:00 am: Apex High and Apex Friendship High marching bands kick things off
- 10:15 am: Town Council members welcome attendees to the Party
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm: Local youth performances from the Apex High dance team, the Apex Friendship High dance team, We Strive, and Infinity Ballet
- 12:00 – 1:30 pm: Emceed by WRAL’s Brian Shrader – 11 Apex history stories told by community members and friends focusing on our past and present, desegregation of the schools, pioneers of business, the first Apex library, overcoming obstacles with community support, and the story of Apex Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources.
- 1:30 pm: Peak City Band
- 3:30 pm: Peak City Sound
GovLove kids area with activities & games
Discover a kids area like no other! Kids of all ages can step back in time with carnival games and a kids train ride. The GovLove area showcases what Town employees do each day to serve our community through hands-on activities, challenges, and giveaway prizes!
Participating departments include: Building Inspections and Permits, Economic Development, Electric Utilities, Fire, Office of the Town Clerk/Town Council, Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources, Police, Public Works, Transportation and Infrastructure Development, Water Resources.
- Atlas Nomads
- Bomb A$$ Sandwiches
- Brusters Ice Cream
- Capone’s Chicago Eats
- Cream and Sugar
- Empanadas RD
- Kona Ice
- Mister and That Dang Woman
- Mr. A’s Beignets
- Sister Lui’s Kitchen