The Wake Forest Listening Room is a music series that brings live, original music to downtown Wake Forest. The shows take place in Magnolia Roots Music Lounge, the downstairs room at Sugar Magnolia Cafe, 219 South White Street, Wake Forest.
There’s room for 70 people, with a stage, sound system and lights.
The bands and artists playing are of a high caliber and play much larger rooms and festivals in other cities and towns in the Triangle and elsewhere. Getting to see them in a small listening room is a rare opportunity.
If you’re only used to hearing music in arenas or noisy bars, you should check out Wake Forest Listening Room to see how enjoyable live music can be when you can really hear it.
Some shows have no cover (but the hat is passed.) Other shows are ticketed, between $10 and $15. Also, please consider buying a CD and coffee to support the musicians and venue.
Here’s what’s coming up. Visit the Wake Forest Listening Room Facebook page for information on each artist, and also to make sure that there haven’t been any changes. Start time is 7 p.m., unless otherwise noted. If a price isn’t listed, it’s “pass the hat.”
Wake Forest Listening Room Schedule:
- Wednesday, September 4th: The Veidt, with special guest Micah Gaugh ($12)
- Friday, September 6th: Triple Fret ($10)
- Saturday, September 7th: Shay Martin Lovette Trio with MK Rodenbough ($10)
- Sunday, September 8th, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: David Childers ($15)
- Thursday, September 12th: Big Fat Gap ($12)
- Friday, September 13th: Jefferson Hart & Ghosts of the Old North State
- Saturday, September 14th: Lemon Sparks
- Thursday, September 19th: Robbie Fulks, with special guest Jeffrey Dean Foster ($15)
- Friday, September 20th: Nantahala, with special guest Morgan Geer (Drunken Prayer)
- Saturday, September 21st: A Different Thread
- Sunday, September 22nd, 2 p.m.: The Hanks Reunion Show, with guests Mad Crush
- Friday, September 27th: Magnolia Green
- Saturday, September 28th: Tres Chicas ($12)