The Town of Wake Forest will host its annual Arbor Day Celebration on Saturday, April 21, 2018, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., around the E. Carroll Joyner Park Amphitheater, 701 Harris Road. The festivities will include the Arbor Day Expo and Tree Seedling Giveaway.
This is a free event.
If it rains, all festivities, including the tree seedling giveaway, will move to Flaherty Park Community Center, 1226 N. White Street.
During the tree seedling giveaway, Urban Forestry Board (UFB) members, town staff and volunteers will distribute hundreds of seedlings to area residents. Varieties include buttonbush, American hornbeam, overcup oak, dogwood, and Shantung maple. Volunteers will be available to help residents decide which seedlings grow best in their respective yard conditions.
The Arbor Day Expo is a family-friendly event featuring a variety of service-oriented civic groups, nonprofit organizations and other local associations that promote proper tree care, environmental stewardship and community service.
Some of what’s going on at the Arbor Day Expo:
- Take a walk on the interactive Tree Trail to learn more about our native trees and the wildlife species that depend on them.
- Learn about proper tree care and sign up for the Wake Forest Tree Steward Program.
- Urban Forestry Board members will distribute reusable “Tree City” cloth grocery bags
- Temporary tattoos for kids with the “Trees are Good” logo
- Kids can make their own birdhouses
- Kids can make a “tree cookie” necklace
Look for more information on the Facebook event.