The Chinese School at Chapel Hill is presenting Lightup Festival on Sunday, February 18th, 2018, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., at The William and Ida Friday Center, 100 Friday Center Drive, Chapel Hill.
Celebrate the Year of the Dog at this free event.
Here are some highlights from the 2017 Lightup Festival.
Here’s some of what’s going on at the 2018 Lightup Festival:
- Lantern Arts. Make a lantern of your own. Purchase 10-inch solid color paper lanterns and decorate them at various stations, assisted by FRANK artists and community artists. You can purchase a battery kit on site to light up your lantern and join the lantern parade in the twilight.
- Dragon Dance Workshop. Learn the basics of dragon dance. Chinese dragons are symbols of nobility and prosperity, and dragon dance is an art of teamwork. Register your team for the dragon dance workshop, get a good workout through the twisting and turning movements and win a prize for your team in the dragon dance competition. There will be a sixty-foot dragon and a smaller forty-foot one.
- Drumming and dragon dance. Peking Opera, music ensembles, flash mob performance.
- DIY arts and crafts activities covering 5,000 years of Chinese history.
- Photo Booth, with a variety of photo props that represent Chinese architecture and culture scenes. Costume rental from different dynasties and ethnicity groups available on site.
- Games: riddles, catch the dragon tail, chopstick games
- Breakout Sessions and Workshops:
- Technology Frontiers at RTP
- Education for Future (CHCCS)
- Youth IT Presentation
- Peking Opera Workshop
- Chinese Traditional Music Workshop
- Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
- Food for purchase from Baozi and ChirbaChirba
- Lantern Parade