Durham celebrates Mardi Gras in a big way. The main event is always on Fat Tuesday, which is February 21st, 2023. It will be free.
In addition, there will be a new, annual family-friendly event the Saturday before Fat Tuesday, at Durham Central Park. Read on for details about events on both dates.
Find more Mardi Gras events in the Triangle.
Mardi Gras at Durham Central Park
The Bulltown Strutters and The Glass Jug Beer Lab invite everyone to celebrate Mardi Gras at Durham Central Park, 501 Foster Street, Durham, North Carolina, on Saturday, February 18th, 2023, from 2 to 7 p.m.
Decorate your costume for Fat Tuesday, build a shoebox float, and enjoy a craft beer while listening to live music in the park!
This is the first annual family-friendly celebration, and a great way to celebrate Mardi Gras on the Saturday before Fat Tuesday.
Held under the Durham Central Park Pavilion in the afternoon, this event welcomes local Krewes and first-timers to a Bull City Mardi Gras celebration with music from Bulltown Strutters and Cajammers.
Kids can make a shoebox float, and adults can decorate their hats or costumes.
Inspired by New Orleans neighborhood festivities that crop up spontaneously in the streets on Mardi Gras Day.
Live music will be performed from 2-6pm featuring the Bulltown Strutters and the Cajammers, and The Glass Jug Beer Lab will be serving craft beer and wine for you to enjoy in the park.
Baton Rouge Cuisine, Loretta’s Southern Kitchen, & Funnel Queens will be on-site in case you get hungry from all of the dancing and decorating!
Durham Mardi Gras
We’ll probably see more details as the date arrives, but Bulltown Strutters is keeping everyone up to date about where it will be on Fat Tuesday, February 21st, 2023.
The Durham Mardi Gras Parade is a DIY affair. You don’t have to register your krewe. Just show up. There is no officially organized parade, but…it will happen.
Bulltown Strutters has announced their schedule in a Facebook event:
- 4 p.m.: Gather at Glass Jug, 545 Foster St. for an informal meetup to finalize costumes, do fingernails or makeup, etc.
- 5:45 p.m.: Proceed on sidewalk to the Bull, with instruments, kazoos, etc.
- 6 p.m.: Gather at CCB Plaza, to jam.
- 6:30ish p.m.: After Major the Bull gets Tutu, a second line starts down the sidewalk, stops briefly at Glass Jug, then the Pit, then Blue Note Grill, where Wiley Fosters are playing. Bulltown Strutters play 8:30-9:30 p.m.
Mardi Gras Gear
- Wear a long beaded necklace at your next costume get together. Perfect for a flapper costume, Just tie a knot in the bottom and you are ready to go.
- These 33″ long beaded necklaces come in a party pack of 144 pieces.
- HIGH QUALITY, Each One Is 33 Inches Long with Large 7mm Beads. Not Cheap Tiny Beads
- 【Package Include】You will receive 3 sheets temporary tattoos-66 Glitter Styles,tats Stickers for kids or adult,Our mardi gras tattoos are the perfect party favor,supplies,decoration
- 【Unique Design】these safe Mardi Gras tattoos for boys and girls will have them beaming. Every set comes with an assortment of 12 designs that include everything from masquerade face mask,hats,feathers
- 【Perfect Party Accessory】A fun addition to any mardi gras party,!Each sheet measures 8.25 ” x 4.5 ” creating the perfect size tattoos!
- 128 Pcs Mardi Gras Accessories Party Favors Set: 8 pcs Sequin Mardi Gras Masks in 3 designs. 24 pcs Purple, Green, and Gold Mardi Gras Beads Necklaces and each color has 8 pcs. 72 pcs Purple, Green,…
- Color & Designs: In traditional Mardi Gras colors of purple, green, and gold, the Mardi Gras plastic coins feature comedy and tragedy masks on one side and a crown on the other. These Mardi Gras…
- Size: Each Mardi Gras masquerade mask measures about 8.5″ x 3.1″ with an elastic band. Each Mardi Gras beaded necklace has a circumference of 31″ with 7mm beads. Colorful Mardi Gras coins measure…
- Abundant to Share: the package comes with a total of 144 Mardi Gras beads necklaces in 5 different designs, sufficient quantity and assorted designs to satisfy your daily and festival decoration…
- Sturdy and Reliable: made of quality plastic, our Mardi Gras beaded necklace is safe and reliable, smooth and colorfast, lightweight yet sturdy, will not easily break, can can be worn comfortably for…
- Distinctive Design: our Mardi Gras accessories are well designed around the Mardi Gras theme, adopting classic purple, gold, and green as the main colors, eye catching and lovely, can easily boost the…
- PACK OF 50 MARDI GRAS MASKS – Each bulk pack of Mardi Gras masks include 50 assorted vibrant colored masks in adult sizes for men & women. Get ready to have an epic Mardi Gras party with these…
- BEAUTIFUL COLORS & FEATHERS – Because these masquerade masks come in assorted vibrant colors they fit in perfect with your Mardi Gras party supplies. Each fantasy feather mask is individually wrapped…
- DECORATE FOR ANY MARDI GRAS & MASQUERADE PARTY – If you are throwing a masquerade ball, then costume masks are a must because they make your Mardi Gras theme complete. These feather masks will be sure…
- WHAT’S IN THE PACKAGE: Set includes 18 ft long x 3 in wide multi-colored purple garland with premium foil fringe. Thick, hanging tinsel garland strands have a beautiful, fluffy appearance and can be…
- MARDI GRAS GARLAND: Perfect addition to Mardi Gras party supplies to outline a Mardi Gras mask or to complement your Mardi Gras tree decorations. Design a festive venue by adding Mardi Gras streamers…
- PURPLE PARTY DECORATIONS: Combine with a festive red and green tinsel garland to complete Christmas party decorations, enhance a leprechaun costume, add the sparkle to masquerade party decorations, or…
More Mardi Gras Events
Check out our list of free and cheap Mardi Gras celebrations in the Triangle, or take a quick look at some events here:
Saturday, February 18, 2023
Tuesday, February 21, 2023